T.L. Morrisey

Monday, June 10, 2024

My Canadian cottage garden on June 4, 2024

It’s June and with the warm spring weather the garden is thriving; some days it feels more like mid-July. Below are some photos taken on June 4, 2024.




The garden has assumed an identity of its own, and I like weeds, I like insects visiting the garden, I like an aspect of the unplanned assertion by nature.



Foxglove

Hostas

It's not that I am particularly fond of hostas but that the garden is 85% shade, and as we know hostas grow best in the shade.



For ten years I had someone cut the grass for me and then, without warning, their business is now "temporarily closed"; so this purchase was hasty and almost impulsive. I used to push a hand mower, one purchased by my mother back in 1963 when I was expected to mow an enormous lawn, I think that mower ended up in storage and I used a gas lawn mower, and eventually I did use the old hand mower here where we've been living since 1997. Losing the person who used to cut our grass I decided I would cut it myself, good exercise I thought... And I didn't want to buy a gas or electric lawn mower, not for a small lawn as we have. So I ended up buying a Fiskars hand driven lawn mower. It does a great job but 1. it was very expensive ("a fool and his money are easily parted" eh?), and 2. it is very heavy to push; as for cutting the grass, it's great! 





The welcome appearance of weeds.

Miniature iris


No comments: