T.L. Morrisey

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Dream Journeys: Psyche's Night Journey




15.

Returning home, the car’s gear shift
comes off in my hand and trying to repair it,
I crawl into the car’s body and discover the car is a wooden vessel,
a web of slats covered with plywood, almost paper thin
for lightness. I arrive at Oxford Avenue where I grew up;
at the front door a man’s corpse sits in an upright position,
as though he had died in the midst of pausing
to think or remember something. When I return that evening
he is gone and I am relieved: But who was this corpse?
Could he have been Father, or someone I have forgotten
or never knew, the white sheet a shroud, like a body
found in the frozen north, preserved by the cold,
lips pulled back in the permanent grin of the dead,
like a wolf’s grinning yellow teeth.



16. Five Black Horses

It was a demonstration of something, the severed
horse’s head on a chair and the four black horses
standing facing the audience. Behind the middle horse
a man took a hammer and drove a bolt
into the horse’s neck; at first, the horse stood as before,
we were all calm, including the horses,
and then the animal fell to the floor.
The other horses were to follow.

2 comments:

Devin said...

Stephen,
thanks so much for dropping by my place and your kind comment-I would like to visit there too!
I absolutely love this dream series of poems you are posting here!
I have started to remember some dreams in the last couple of weeks-which I hadnt been able to do for over a year now- I think due to insomnia-but they are very non-sensical and I dont think they mean much. There was one last week that left me with an odd feeling- I don't know- good or bad- and I would give anything if I could remember that one better!
all the best to you and yours my friend!!

Unknown said...

5 black horses of the apocalypse, gotten off to a shaky start, stalled somehow under the glare of the audience.The apocalypse is underway. Everyone is watching. A spike in the neck of the middle horse...could this be the higher awareness acheived last weekend at music festivals around the world, reached a critical mass,with enough power to strike a blow against the forces of negativity that threaten our vital freedoms. Can we acheive enough positivity to overcome willful ignorance, fear and the mindless complacency of the forces of destruction? Can our love save the world?