T.L. Morrisey

Thursday, May 27, 2010

The Compass





Here's the poem referred to at CNNGO. 
 ________________________________________ 

The Compass 

On the four corners of the bed 
the body becomes a compass 
describing the direction of passion. 
Months of desire arrive at this destination, 
rocking on a single almost silent wave 
we are sheltered by darkness. 
The body is a compass needle; 
you turned me from east to west 
awoke a sleeping giant that moves 
between your mouth and breasts and legs; 
the room illuminated by static electricity 
thrown off by our bodies. 
How many decades did I sleep 
waiting only for you; 
I lust after you in all 
the directions of space. 
Meeting at the airport 
your foot touching my leg 
beneath the restaurant table, 
we secretly entered an empty 
banquet hall where the caterers 
chattered and poured drinks behind 
a wall partition then quickly leaving 
we found a deserted hallway of open 
office doors where we embraced. 
All the others in my life fell away, 
I was ready to abandon my old life 
for you, for the touch of your hand and mouth, 
the apple red and delicious cut in half that I eat. 
Tied to the four corners of love 
as to a bed which becomes a compass, 
I find you on your stomach, on your back, 
in the morning lying pressed against me. 
It is not possible to return to sleep now, 
it is not possible to forsake your touch 
and love, black lace, fingers, wetness, 
your mouth, words. The compass needle 
turns finding north switched to east 
and west to south, night becomes morning; 
nothing remains as it was. You pointed my life 
in a new direction, towards a corner of the world 
only dreamt of before. Outside the sun is red 
descending behind a row of trees, 
shadows fade into the other unexplored 
regions of night. 

 (Published in The Compass, Empyreal Press, Montreal, 1993)

No comments: