T.L. Morrisey

Thursday, July 19, 2018

Believe Nothing

When did I become a nihilist? I was born this way.


Inner Space is a hinterland of cosmic waste; here, everyone is either a nihilist, a poet, or both.


My defense is suited to one whose motto is "Believe nothing".


Poets used to be referred to as "ground breaking" or "visionary"; now they want to be referred to as "award winning poets", the visionaries are gone. 


I am well known in the territory of Inner Space.


About what am I incredulous? On most days, just about everything.


A whole new cohort of poets has arrived,  they are ambitious, self-conscious, and dedicated to self-promotion; in other words, younger versions of older poets.


The opposition of nihilists to all forms of censorship is famous in the history of Inner Space.


I am not the Pope's nose but I can still smell shit when it's all around me.


As we cross the green archetypal fields of poetry we reach the borders of Inner Space.


I have lived the nihilist's life: anonymous, introverted, and appalled.


Mister, in Inner Space we don't have room for anybody but poets and nihilists, so you'd better high tail it outta here before you're discovered.


Most religious and political beliefs offend my sense of nothingness.


A poet's apprenticeship can never be replaced with sitting in a classroom workshopping someone's poems.


Believing anything makes people stupid.




Photo taken at the Montreal Botanical Gardens, 2009



No comments: